- Disney has announced special collector’s editions of Avatar and Avatar: The Way of Water, packed with behind-the-scenes insights and features.
- The special editions will include a “Behind-The-Scenes Presentation” hosted by Jon Landau, offering an in-depth look at the making of the films.
- Avatar: The Way of Water will continue to explore the relationship between the Na’vi and humans, and the special edition will include a feature hosted by Jon Landau that delves into the groundbreaking techniques used to bring audiences back to Pandora.
Avatar and its sequel Avatar: The Way of Water, both of which have earned billions at the box office, are set to receive special collector’s editions filled with exclusive features and behind-the-scenes insights. Disney made the announcement alongside news that James Cameron’s other movies Aliens, The Abyss, and True Lies will be released on 4K UHD for the first time ever.
Avatar, written and directed by Academy Award winner James Cameron, takes place on the vibrant alien world of Pandora, home to the Na’vi, beings who at first seem primitive but are actually highly evolved. The sequel, Avatar: The Way of Water, earned over $2 billion at the box office, continuing the saga of the Sully family (Jake, Neytiri, and their kids) as they face challenges, battles, and tragedies to survive in Pandora.
What can fans expect from these special collector’s editions? The Avatar collector’s edition will feature a “Behind-The-Scenes Presentation” hosted by Jon Landau, which will shed light on the making of the movie and include Colonel Miles Quaritch’s RDA Promos, giving an inside look into the RDA with in-universe promos. The Avatar: The Way of Water collector’s edition will include a host of additional special features, such as:
- Memories from Avatar: The Way of Water – A conversation with Jon Landau, Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Sigourney Weaver, and Stephen Lang about returning to Pandora 13 years later.
- Production Design Panel Hosted by Jon Landau – A look at the inspiration behind the new designs in Avatar: The Way of Water.
- Deleted/Extended Scenes – 12 scenes that were either removed or extended in the final film.
- Scene Deconstruction – A look at 11 scenes in various production stages.
- Production Materials – Including a discussion on the on-set initiative to eat one vegan meal a day, the editing process, and the use of 3D technology in the film.
Both collector’s editions are scheduled to be released on December 19, 2023.